I took a break from all the cookie making/baking and tried a ‘new to me’ recipe: Lemon Coconut Bread, from the blog, ‘Farm Girl Fare’. I made mine in mini-loaf pans, which are a good size for us and easy to freeze. The bread is very moist with lots of lemon and coconut flavor — very tasty with a cup of coffee this morning. Will be making this one again for sure.
Lemon Coconut Bread
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s fresh!)
½ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups granulated sugar
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
¾ cup milk
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon lemon zest (or more if you want a bigger kick of lemon)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick or ¼ pound) butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8×4 inch or 9×5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt using a rubber spatula, then stir in the sugar and coconut.
3. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture, stirring just until combined.
5. Add the melted butter and stir just until smooth. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out clean. Ovens vary, so start checking for doneness after about 60 minutes (55 if you’re using a 9×5 inch pan).
7. Let the bread cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes and then carefully remove it from the pan. Try not to slice into the loaf until it’s completely cool, but that probably won’t be possible. Store in an airtight container for 3 days or wrap in plastic and/or aluminum foil, pop in a plastic zipper bag, and freeze.